I like to think that I could have been a great many things, even though this is not true. Here are the careers and vocations that I think I could have had, even though we all know that it’s fairly impossible.
People I Wanted to Be that I Now Admit I Will Never Be:
- A ballerina. I adore the ballet. I was a bossy little ballerina for a few years until I hit adolescence and lost interest in the art and discipline. It may have been just as well. I have long, skinny limbs, yes, but I cannot touch my toes. I cannot even do downward-facing dog. I am an embarrassment in yoga class; I would be an abomination in ballet.
- A Shakespearean actor. I hate being on stage. I am not British (yes, I believe that all the best Shakespearean actors are and should be British).
- A great cook. Given up on that dream, especially since I found out that I have a husband who can out-chef me. I also am not profoundly interested in food.
- A travel writer. I really like having a home. I hate living out of a suitcase.
- A painter. This dream died when Grace started taking art lessons with me.
Any dream careers of yours get killed by reality?